Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medication. Never before have a lot of new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to reduce or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Choose a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a doctor does not understand can hurt you.
4. Ask for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. If your doctor won't tell you, discover another one. For leading surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterilized operating space. Ensure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sterilized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the danger of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount parachute. The possible cost savings are unworthy the threat of receiving less than professional care!
Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each client. Be careful of any medical professional who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the useful site eyesight of millions of people worldwide.